[Coco] Window Master & "Super Basic"

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat May 14 11:59:29 EDT 2005

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:36:08 -0400
> From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch at 30below.com>
> Subject: [Coco] Window Master & "Super Basic"
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> Rumor has it that John Hogerhuis may have mentioned these words:
>

>>As to an actual GUI, not enough room. With more room, I think this
>>territory is mapped out with Coco Windows and Window Master.
>

> Is "Window Master" the application that I remember seeing advertised in all
> the Hot CoCos & Rainbows of the era, that would give you access to
> "MegaMemory" in Basic? As in, able to utilize all 512K if you had it for
> huge arrays & whatnot?

Yes - I own copies of both Window Master and CBASIC-3 - both
applications allow you to access the full 512k, though I never explored
this area much when I was actively using them (in highschool, a long
time ago). Both would also work under 128k machines. Basically, they had
commands to access the extra memory and such, along with a bunch of
other features.

Curiously enough, a version never (AFAIK) existed that allowed you to
compile with CBASIC-3, Window Master programs - that is, the commands
under Window Master for windowing and mouse, etc - weren't available
under CBASIC-3. You could, however, if you wanted to - build your own
GUI system in BASIC and compile that. I remember such a piece of code
appearing in the Rainbow (by Eric Wolf?) - I was inspired myself, and
built such a thing after his piece appeared as a learning exercise.

> I remember drooling over that back in the day (even tho by then I was a
> majorbigtime OS-9 geek) and I always thought that if RS-DOS had a chance of
> "Growing" it would be because of that.
>
> Anyone know if there's any chance at all of purchasing this software?

I recently (about a month ago) was in contact with Bill Vergona about
this software. I was trying to find out his thoughts on the copy
protection on the disks. Since I own the software, and the software only
works on his "special" disks - I don't dare use them much anymore (they
are closing in on 15 years of age) - unless I can get them to be copied
or otherwise run on an emulator or something. He didn't seem too
receptive to the idea - but he didn't seem to say "don't do it", either.

He wouldn't give me any details on the copy protection. I have a feeling
that the mechanism is similar to that of Diecom's Gates of Delerium.

Michael, Tim - would you guys be willing to help in the preservation of
these two pieces of software? I am not sure how we can proceed - but I
think we need to have more conversation with Bill. Also - any of you out
there know more about the copy protection on these disks? I had read
someone on here had a program or something to get around it on the word
processor software Cer-Comp sold - maybe it is similar? Since Tim owns a
catweasel - that might help.

Personally - I would like to preserve these for myself, plus I want to
use it some more - I was always impressed at the speed that CBASIC-3
gave to programs, it was a nice compiler, and a great editor for code as
well. My goals at this point aren't to distribute this software "far and
wide" - but more to preserve it for the day (hopefully?) when I can.

What do others here think about this?

Andrew L. Ayers
Phoenix (Glendale), Arizona