[Coco] replacing main rom

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Sat May 14 02:52:12 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 18:14 -0700, Alex Evans wrote:

> Depending on what you call a GUI, I am sure that one could create a
> primitive GUI which would fit in less that 6k.

Depending on what you call $1 I'm a millionaire ;-)

Here's what I think would be cool: a simple text mode coco midnight
commander crammed into the ROM chip. The computer comes up in a file
manager rather than BASIC prompt, but make BASIC accessible like any
other file (I'm taking this from Model 100). Make it keyboard navigable,
mice are for weenies. But ideally be able to tag multiple files and do
operations en masse.

Can you fit a file viewer in there too? So if it's a plain text file, we
could at least view it (I can't imagine you could fit a file manager and
a text editor in 6K).

One better: when you scan the drive for files at power up, check if it's
an OS-9 disk. If it is, boot it.

-- John.