[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] CoCo 2 questions.

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu May 12 17:35:02 EDT 2005

Phil,

Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just got myself a cheap, (£4.99) CoCo 2 off ebay, not working at the
> moment, but I intend to fix that :) I have a couple of questions :
>
> 1) It seems very different from the CoCo 1, much more compact, and seems
>   to have some different chips. Does anyone know where I can get a
> circuit sheet for this, I have the CoCo 1 tech ref, but this seems to
> different.

I might have one, I can check, but it would be NTSC not PAL- not much
difference I would imagine.

> 2) There are a couple of chips with numbers I don't recognise they are :
>
> HD61J204P / TCC1000, a 28 pin chip on the bottom left of the board.

That's the BASIC ROM

> SC7331P, a 40 pin chip in the top middle of the board, next to the 6821,
> this seems to be connected to the keyboard, so I assume it's a PIA, but
> that's a number I don't recognise.

It's roughly the equivalent of a 6822, which was discontinued and
replaced with this "custom" part. If it's dead, a 6822 or 6821 can be used.

> 3) There seem to be some wire links to select between 16K and 64K rams,
> assuming that I can get some 64K, what type does it need (41464s at a
> guess) ?

Depends on the board. All can be upgraded with 8 4164 DRAMs. Some can
take 2 64kx4 chips.

> Also the machine seems to have a 74LS785, rather than a 74LS783, I have
> tested this in my Dragon test board and it works ok, but wondered what
> the difference was ?

Functionally identical with the major difference being the 785 supports
256 column refresh RAMs (like 4164) whereas the 783 has a 7 bit counter
and only can refresh 128 column (max) rams.

-Mike

Yahoo! Groups Links