[Coco] replacing main rom

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu May 12 16:47:35 EDT 2005

Art

Currently I do not have a Coco 3 setup due to space limitations. Hopefully within the
next two months that problem will be resolved somewhat.

I can agree with the fact that the character blink timer is in the GIME chip. The
Basic ROms code has no control over character blink. Furthermore you maybe right
that the GIME chip does use the timer to control character blink attribute. Yet I have
some reservations. What has my concern is that the timer is a 12 bit timer. That
yields the max count of 4096. Setting the TINS bit sets the frequency in to the timer
at high freqency. Clear teh bit and the timer input frequency is the slow frequency.
There are two sources that specify two different frequencies for fast frequency, 279
nS and 70nS. Irregardless this frequency input would yield a blink rate far to fast to
be noticable. There has to be other hardware in the GIME chip to dived that input
further down.  Even at slow frequency the timer counts down every 260.1 mS.
Twice that is slightly longer than a  half second.

Also it has been reported that writing $00 to $FF94 stops the timer? I fthat is so then
the character blink would likely stop if the GIME does use the timer. Also it would
seem odd to have a timer that can be  used by software that is also used for another
hardware function. That produces a conflict of usage or at least a restricted usage of
the timer. That is one cannot use the timer if in HR text mode and have any
characters blinking.

james