[Coco] replacing main rom

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue May 10 20:15:56 EDT 2005

John

To my knowledge I am not sure that the Coco 3 rom uses the timer for anything. At
least when I plodded through the code to see how much space there was left in the
Coco 3 basic. I looked to see h ow easy it would be to just rewrite the darn code and
incorparate the 20+ patches. It is rediculous to see the startup have to patch a
bunch of code to get it to run. I even wondered if there were a way to compress
many of the same low resolution and high resolution basic cammands into one
command. Like HSCREEN and SCREEN, LINE and HLINE.

All the IRQs when passed through the GIME chip can be individually and locally
disabled by writing a zero to the corresponding bits of $FF92 and $FF93. Clearing
bits 4 and 5 of they INIT0 register($FF90) will globally disable all IRQs and FIRQs
from the GIME chip. When that is done the IRQs from the PIA chips must be
enabled in order to get any IRQs.

I do like your idea of a Forth ROM for the Coco 3. Always wanted to play with that.
The 6809 is excellent for it and the 6309 is even better with the extra registers.

james