[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] end of discussion!start new

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun May 1 02:56:26 EDT 2005

On 05/01/2005 03:46 am, Charles Richmond wrote:
> Yes, Asimov was a most interesting man. He was a child prodigy and a
> very prolific author. He used to write a book about every month. My
> understanding is that Radio Shack gave him a regular ole' TRS-80 and
> some word processing software...and got him started with using a
> computer for word processing.

The TRS-80 Model 2 with Scripsit 2.0 was the _only_ word processor Asimov ever
used.  He never "upgraded" to a PC compatible.  He published a couple of
articles about the learning process, I forget which magazine, perhaps Popular
Computing, in 1980-81.  I've seen those articles in one of his article
anthologies.

His word processing system (Model 2, expansion bay with one 8" SSDD drive,
Daisy Wheel II printer) was on display for several years in the SF bookstore
in Greenwich Village.  I have no idea as to its current status since Baird
Searles died and the store closed.  I'd love to add it to my collection, even
though I already have a Mod 2.  Scripsit 2.0 is still one of my three
favorite WP packages (after Scripsit-16 for Xenix/Unix and AllWrite for the
1/3/4).  Sorry, but I was never crazy about using my Color Computers for real
word processing.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

In my opinion, the worst unintended consequence of the Americans with
Disabilities Act is that it is impossible to horsewhip a man on the
steps of his club when the steps have been replaced with a ramp.

Yahoo! Groups Links