[Coco] Software media

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Mar 31 18:54:31 EST 2005

Rumor has it that billg may have mentioned these words:
>Thanks, I'll try all of those to see if I can fix the problem.  I wonder if
>my timing is off a little, since I have to turn on the machine after I hit
>csave (not a computer cassette recorder-no remote jack).

Hit record on the cassette recorder *just before* you hit CSAVE - else you
may knock off a part of the header to the file, which will make durned
difficult to re-read in. ;-) Doing so will just record a bit'o'dead air
beforehand, which is fine. After rewinding, you'll want to hit "Play" on
the cassette recorder after you hit CLOAD, as the computer will wait until
it sees that header, so it's OK to press play afterwards.

Also, check your volume & tone knobs - On my GE computer cassette recorder,
they needed to be set to 2 (out of 10) for optimal recording/playback.

Yerf... now I remember why I paid $400 for my first floppy drive!!!
;-)

>As for the drives, I can't find anyone around here that still has the 'edge
>card' floppy cables any more.

Check ePay, there may be "adapters" to go from pinedge to cardedge and back
-- I have a couple that I acquired years ago that stay in my "old computer
parts bin."  Secondarily, check ePay for the cables themselves... As a last
resort, let me know, and I *think* I have a few unused IDC card-edge
connectors yet... I could make you a cable.

If there are more people interested in cables, let me know and I can order
the schtuff from Mouser to make more... I have lots of cable itself, and
the IDC press for easier cable creation. I have 40 & 50 conductor cable,
but it's not *that* hard to strip a few conductors off the end... ;-)

>They have cleaned out their back rooms and
>thrown all that "old stuff" away, and have all gone to the pin connector
>cables.

Everyone but me... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????