[Coco] [Color Computer] Age Poll at Maltedmedia List

Larry Osborne larrybo at idirect.com
Wed Mar 30 12:59:17 EST 2005

Merv
   I can't take the local record away from you ( I am sure there are others
not present who could though).  I am a mere??? 61.  I got my first CoCo as
my post Christmas present in 1982 to myself.  It is frightening now to think
that a CoCo, Spectaculator, and a few games plus some tapes and cassette of
course could add up to almost $1500 Canadian.  This CoCo was sold to me as a
32K CoCo with the 64K CoCo being still more expensive,  the only thing was
that it was the commonly called 'F' board or more properly a '285' board
which never had a true 32K memory, if it had 32K it had a useable 64K
memory.  Which explains why they couldn't upgrade it later to 64K when I
asked for an upgrade.  Later in the decade, I got a CoCo 3 with 512  K
memory board and enjoyed and used it until "97.  My CoCo's served me long
and well (as did the club (TCCC)).  I finally (Fef 2004) gave away my CoCo
literature and equipment (all 17 boxes of them) when I finally realized that
I had to find them a new home as they were not going to be set up here again
as there was simply no space for them in my small apartment, though the odd
item keeps popping up. Just recently found a few original 5.25 diskettes (2
Dynaspell and the Wiz from Frank Hogg Laboraties although manuals went with
the 17 boxes, if anyone wants these let me know email larrybo at idirect.com to
arrange it.
    In Aug 1983, I found the The Toronto Colour Computer Club demonstrating
the CoCo at a Computer Show at Harbourfront here in Toronto and joined
immediately.  At various times over the next 10 years I seved as Treasurer,
Vice President, and President. I remember Mike Fisher, Merv Curley, Paul
Hazelwood, and many others in the club fondly.
    I still remain on the list simply because even without a CoCo, I still
like to see what is going on in the community.
Larry Osborne