[Coco] Saving individual .dsk image files

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 07:21:47 EST 2005

> >>Now, is there a way I can load each the basic files and save them to an
> >>ascii format (save "filename.bas",a) so that they can be studied using a
> >>text editor?
> >>

> >In the emulator, in the BASIC interpreter, load each of the tokenised BASIC
> >programs and perform a SAVE "filename",A to save the program as an ASCII
> >file.  Then port it out to the HD.
> >

> After exporting via the SAVE "filename",A method and loading into a text
> editor.. can these files then be resaved, trasferred to the coco and
> reloaded as-is, or is there extra steps required?

After transferring the file(s) back to CoCo disk, you just LOAD them like
normal, then resave it without the ascii option. I did this extensively while
working on Color FOG whenever I needed to move large chunks of code around.

Ascii files will take a lot longer to load than tokenized Basic. It's not so
noticeable in the emulator, but on the real thing it would take about 2 minutes
to load a ~20K ascii file from disk.

Bob