[Coco] The typical CoCo user is aged...?!?

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 11:01:46 EST 2005

> Torsten Dittel wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see kind of a demographic profile of today's CoCo-Nuts. Age?
> >  Profession? etc.

I'm 38 now, got my first CoCo, a 32K ECB gray "F" board for Christmas of '82. I
guess my mom figured that was the best way to get custody of me back from Radio
Shack, where I spent many hours typing in programs from the books.

I learned BASIC that way, and wrote a crude graphics editor which I used to
draw the POPEYE picture included on the Color FOG disk.

In early 1990 I got to play around with a Tandy 1000, managed to install a
30Meg hard drive in that. At the same time I started working at an aviation
repair station. I was in manufacturing, but used my programming knowlege to
take up development of their "abandoned" database... I never got a degree, but
10 years experience in database design and PC maintenance and networking does
look good on the resume. That got my foot in the door so to speak. From there I
went to work for a place building video editing computers, went through more
turmoil for a couple years...

Now I'm a TV station Engineer for Southern Methodist University, which is not a
real TV studio, it's a lab for the journalism students. This is probably my
dream job, and they all like me (students and faculty) because so far they
haven't found a problem I can't fix. Using the CoCo to teach myself new things
really set the stage for what could otherwise have been a very disappointing
life.

cheers,
Bob Emery