[Coco] Re: CoCo to PC cable

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Mar 27 14:14:08 EST 2005

billg wrote:
> Yessir, sure are.  Hopefully I can still get the din plugs from R/S and
> build it myself.

There are at least 2 incompatible designs that depend on what
communications programs that you have on each side.

All use the same method of sending from the COCO to the PC, but some
switch the lines that is used on the COCO for receiving data and
handling status information.

The COCO has three RS-232 lines, data in, data out, and an input line
that is used for a Data Set Ready indication, and a signal return.
The Data Set Ready line may also be labeled Carrier Detect.

I do not have the pin out handy, but a google search should turn it up.

Some of the COCO programs will not send any data unless a signal is
asserted on the Data Set Ready line.

And I have learned from monitoring this forum that some programs on the
COCO side use the Data Set Ready / Carrier Detect line as a data input line.

On the PC side, the 9 pin connector may need to have the RTS-CTS lines
jumpered together, and it will not hurt to always jumper those together.

The PC may also required that the DTR line be connected to the DSR and
CD lines at the connector.  Usually that line is connected to the DSR
line on a device like a COCO.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only