[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Can coco3 play mp3?

Phill Harvey-Smith dragon at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 12:01:49 EST 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 25 March 2005 15:43, Ben Jimenez wrote:
>>is there a program for the coco3 that can play mp3's?!
>
> An mp3 decoder needs about 50x the horsepower a coco has, and about 10
> bits more in the audio precision.  While a reasonable something that
> might play something recognizable might be done, I don't think anyone
> would want to listen to it for an extended period of time.

Though there are hardware mp3 decoders that could feasably be hooked up
to the CoCo, I know it has been done with 8 bit AVR embedded processors,
however their max speed is 16MHz, which is much faster than even the
CoCo3. It could possibly work for low bit rates. The other thing of
course is where to store the mp3s, they are typically a few meg, so
unless you have a hard disk you're gonna be out of luck.

Just a random thought :)

Phill.

Yahoo! Groups Links