[Coco] Re: CoCo related question? (Better edit for coco3.rom)

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 15:09:12 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 13:07 -0500, Albert Stinger wrote:
> More questions,
>
> Exactly how much rom space is available in the coco3 rom and
> could be used to make a better edit command?  Where is this
> rom space located in the rom image?  What would be the best
> way to interface to the edit command so you could have full
> screen editing with the cursor keys?

Well I think coco3 copies ROM to RAM and runs from there.

Maybe you could compress the ROM image and get some space that way? Then
your extensions would reside in the ROM, but you would run them from
RAM. Lots of RAM in the coco3.

You would lose a bit of space to the decompression routine though. But
typically decompression routines are fairly small compared to
compression routines. On balance, I'm sure you would gain some space.

The compression routine would just be run on the desktop.

-- John.