[Coco] Re: "Historic" CD-i development systems...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 09:57:35 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/20/05 9:58:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jimhrubik at earthlink.net writes:

The last  of the 68040 Quadras, the 950, was still clocked at 33.  My
6100 is a  PPC601 clocked at 60; there was a 75mh PPC601 version of the
7100 and  8100.

Now, since the 68K family used 2 clock phases per cycle, versus 4 or more
for an Intel 80x86, is it still true that an N MHz Moto is comparable to a 2*N
MHz Intel?

For our 8-bit micros, the 6809 versus 8080 or Z80, the ratio is 4:1.

And it seems that the PPCs or whatever's now used in Macs has a similar
ratio going for it, since a Mac at less than 1 GHz is supposedly equal to a 2  GHz
PC.

I know this whole issue is part religion and part engineering, but what are
the engineering facts these days?  Yeah, a little OT, but....  Mike  K.