[Coco] Re: A return to bit.listserv.coco?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Mar 22 00:18:02 EST 2005

Lets clear up some items of confusion.

Currently the newsgroup bit.listserv.coco is under the control of
Princeton.edu even if they are not actively doing anything with it.

The official charter of the bit.listserv.coco newsgroup is to be a
newsgroup mirror of the coco mailing list that is currently hosted by
Princeton.edu.

The bit.listserv.* newsgroups are specifically designated to be gateways
or mirrors to mailing lists hosted by bitnet members.  Princeton.edu is
one such member.  http://www.google.com can easily find others.

That mailing list is in a suspended state because Princeton.edu's
security rules require that it have a sponsor that is a member of their
faculty or staff.

The coco mailing list was with out a sponsor for several years before
the spam infected it, and if princeton.edu information security policies
had been followed, the mailing list would have been shutdown at that time.

It was only until after a large number of users started leaving the coco
mailing list and newsgroup due to the spam that first Dennis started
this list, and then Princeton suspended the mailing list.

I do not know why Princeton suddenly took such action, but my guess was
that since the mailing list robot was sending a confirmation to each
e-mail address that it received spam or viruses from, someone who's
address was forged filed an abuse complaint, and when Princeton.edu
could not locate a sponsor, they suspended the list per their long
published policy.

Princeton is willing to restart the list if a member of their staff or a
student is found that will sponsor the list.  A year ago or so, a search
of google for such lists shows me only one other bit.listserv.* list
that was still being run by princeton.edu.

If Princeton.edu decides to, as they have the designated ownership of
the bit.listserv.coco newsgroup, they could easily get it removed.  My
guess is that since the newsgroup is not using any physical resources
controlled by Princeton.edu that Princeton will not make any request to
have the group removed.

The way that the bit.listserv.* newsgroups are chartered is that they
are specifically to be gated to active mailing lists.

There is a web form on the newsguy.com news server to request such
associations to be set up.

The preference is for such newsgroups to be gated to mailing lists on
bitnet members, however there is precedence for them to be gated to
mailing lists on other servers.

So while there is a possibility that the bit.listserv.coco can disappear
with out notice, it probably will not happen.

There was also for some reason some belief that people could lobby their
local news providers not to delete the bit.listserv.coco newsgroup if
newsguy.com deleted it.  Even if they decided to keep the newsgroup,
postings would probably not be propagated to other news servers that
still carried the newsgroup.  Too many holes would appear in the peering
between news servers.  So that idea never was practical.

A filtered gateway can be installed between the bit.listserv.coco
newsgroup and this forum with only a little effort.  Message threading
would likely be lost as more postings would appear in different order
than they were originally posted.  We see a little of that now, but with
another newsgroup gateway it would get worse.

I could have a one-way auto-moderated system that copies the
bit.listserv.coco postings to here running with in a week.  That
template of that system has been running since just before Dennis
started his list up.  I stopped work on it when Dennis announce this
list.  At the time people were also cross posting to the mailing list
and the bit.listserv.coco, which would have made the gateway more complex.

It is highly likely that a polite letter to both newsguy.com and
princeton.edu would turn over the bit.listserv.coco to be a mirror of
Dennis's mailing list under Dennis or someone else's guardianship, where
newsguy.com would take over being the gateway.

I would recommend if this were done, that the bit.listserv.coco be
converted to a moderated newsgroup with a robot program that handles
almost all the moderation as I have seen done on other newsgroups.

If it is not done by someone here, it could be done by someone else, but
I do not see what value that would be to them.

Also the amount of spam visible on the bit.listserv.coco will vary
greatly with the news server that you read it on.  http://www.google.com
tries to remove spam from it's archive, so that can not be relied on.

Of the several news servers that I can use to access the
bit.listserv.coco, most of the direct newsgroup spam only shows up on
one of them.  So it looks like the other news servers have depeered with
the news servers that are allowing spam to be posted.  This is very
common with news server providers.

This is also basically a rehash of what I have previously posted on this
topic.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only