tut tut (was) Re: [Coco] A return to bit.listserv.coco?

James C. Hrubik, Sr. jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 15:58:49 EST 2005

C'mon, Boisy, the folk aren't ignoring the validity of your ideas.
There is such a thing as inertia, and there is also such a thing as not
wanting to get burned again.  Granted that there is no guarantee that a
SPAMmer can't worm his way onto the list, but I also would throw out
another idea -- the web has too many "mirrors" for it's own good in
some cases.  All you have to do is a Google search using one keyword to
see what I mean.  (OK, my age is showing; I remember the good old days
when a one-word gopher search would turn up 6 items, all of which were
relevant).

Having multiple openings for a list makes it easier to find (once you
define your keyword search enough) and may make it easier for a newbie
to locate us, but OTOH, there is the small good feeling that as a
community, Sir Dennis leading the charge, we neutered the SPAM-dragon (
or maybe you call then SPAM-gators down there %^D).  Having done so,
we've kicked back with our Bitweiser in hand and are enjoying the list.
  In the minds of most of us, I would guess, there is no urgency to make
another change.

I recall some posters saying (way back when) that they wouldn't move to
Maltedmedia.  That was their choice.  I do think that the bulk of
serious (and OT stuff is usually OK and fun too, from time to time)
CoCo discussion occurs here.

There are lots of ways to find the list; links exist all over the
place.  And all you have to do is put "coco maltedmedia" into Google,
and you will most certainly find us -- I just did, about the 6th entry
down.

Don't stop throwing out ideas, though.  This list is as good a place to
brainstorm as we've had.  And the mail has been flying in faster than I
can read it!

On Monday, March 21, 2005, at 12:47  PM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> But why create gateways and openings when we could just congregate in
> one place?  If one thing fractures the CoCo community, it's "this
> group" and "that mailing list."
>
> As I suspected, I'm swimming against the tide here.  What surprises me
> is that no one has seen the validity in the ideas I've expressed,
> which I think are quite sensible.
>
> Boisy

James C. Hrubik, GRI, RAA
Certified Residential Appraiser