[Coco] A return to bit.listserv.coco?

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 21 15:53:09 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:15:42 -0600, Boisy G. Pitre <boisy at boisypitre.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2005, at 12:03 PM, James Dessart wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>>
>>> But why create gateways and openings when we could just congregate in
>>> one place?  If one thing fractures the CoCo community, it's "this
>>> group" and "that mailing list."
>>
>> We are currently congregated in one place. Are there people who are on
>> the
>> newsgroup and not on here? Why aren't they here?
>
> No, we are not.  There are still CoCo posts ongoing on bit.listserv.coco.
>
> Remember James, this group came about as a result of a problem: SPAM.
> Without that impetus, I doubt this group would have been created.  So
> the "fracturing" took place already.  Those people on bit.listserv.coco
> never left in the first place.  Who are we to say they belong "here" and
> not "there?"

    I guess one thing that everyone is overlooking is the "casual" user,
who may, on a lark, decide to search for old Coco stuff on the web. When
they want to join this list, they have to actually sign up, and wait for a
response. For some of the more casual people; that's too much trouble, and
they will just go elsewhere to look for information. I know i don't often
sign up to a group like this unless I have a keen interest in it; some
mailing lists for vintage games (for all platforms) have required signups,
and I have never joined them, just because I was just browsing, found a
link, and, when prompted with login screens saying I will get an account
within X days, I just go (eh... nah, I'm not THAT interested).
    If others think like this, we may have lost a few people that may have
contributed. I also like the back search in Google groups as well, and
have used it on many occasions. If we could link this list with the
bit.listserv.coco group, even just allowing messages to get get put into
the bit.listserv.coco pool, than anyone can easily search for Coco related
topics, instead of searching for different lists to join up with.
     On the other hand, I quit reading bit.listserv.coco regularily awhile
ago when all the spam was hitting it, myself.

L. Curtis Boyle