[Coco] A return to bit.listserv.coco?

Boisy G.Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Mar 21 15:44:10 EST 2005

On Mar 21, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Robert Sherwood wrote:

> At 12:47 PM 3/21/05, you wrote:
>
>> On Mar 21, 2005, at 11:40 AM, billg wrote:
>>
>>> As a newbie on this mailing list, my opinion probably doesn't carry
>>> much
>>> weight, but IMHO this is the best place for discussion of CoCo
>>> matters.
>>> Membership suggests interest in the CoCo neighborhood, whereas
>>> bit.listserv.coco IS open for the general public.  Case in point:
>>> all that
>>> spam.
>>
>> But why create gateways and openings when we could just congregate in
>> one place?  If one thing fractures the CoCo community, it's "this
>> group" and "that mailing list."
>
> Because...  moving to a newsgroup WOULD NOT be congregating in one
> place.  I for one, do not have a reader installed on my computer nor
> do I have any desire to try and hunt down a decent one, much less muck
> around in the cesspool that is newsgroups.  I know Outlook Express can
> read newsgroups, but I do not even have that installed.

Do you have a web browser?   I think your other post just answered your
question.  But then again, if you didn't realize that the newsgroup was
searchable via Google...

> There are no specific advantages in the newsgroup that are not also
> available in this list.  In fact, I think searching is even easier in
> this list - search the list and you get results from only the list and
> not every post in existence which happens to have the letters "coco"
> in them.

I vehemently disagree.  Learn how to search on Google Groups and I
think you'll see how easy it is.

> People understand mailing lists.  One just needs to glance at Yahoo
> Groups to see that.  The large number of new members we have seen in
> just the last few months also indicates that we are not nearly as
> "hidden" as you suggest.

Not necessarily hidden, but undeniably fractured.

> It takes just a few seconds to subscribe.  How is that inconvenient?
> I think being able to keep spammers out and quickly expelling the rare
> troublemaker who sneaks in renders the "inconvenience" of confirming a
> subscription extremely minor at most.  Besides, the only person who
> can truly claim inconvenience is Dennis, and he does not seem to mind
> at all.

You're missing the point, but I think you're beyond convincing.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com
Mobile: (337) 781-3997