[Coco] Re: "Historic" CD-i development systems...

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 21 15:17:21 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:11:52 -0600, Mannequin*
<mannslists at invigorated.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:59:05 +0600
> "Richard E. Crislip" <rcrislip at neo.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello jdaggett at gate.net
>>
>> I never knew that MACs used the 060. I thought they stopped with the 040
>> before moving on to the PPCs. The Amiga, however; did make use of the
>> 060
>> and some of them were clocked at 75mhz. Mine runs at 50mhz.
>
> Hi,
>
> I worked in a Mac store around here before, during, and a little after
> the
> transfer from the 68k's to the PPC's. The last 68k chip that a Mac had
> in it was
> the 68040. So, unless they had some prototypes floating around that I
> wasn't
> aware of... :)  Anyway, I'm not too sure as to how fast some of the last
> 68k
> Macs ran. 66MHz keeps on popping in to my head... I know for sure, that
> the
> 75MHz Macs were PPC 601's I think.

     The fastest official 68040 Mac was the Quadra 840AV, which ran at 40
MHz (mind you, all 68040's were clock doubled, like 486DX2's, so I guess
you could stretch it a bit and call it an 80 MHz). The PowerPC 601 based
systems (6100, 7100 and 8100 went from 60 to 80 MHz in their first
generation (I own a couple of the 8100/80's). I don't know if Apple had
prototype 68060 based machines... I would guess not, as they did the big
PowerPC announcement with Motorola and IBM years prior to when that
generation of chips came out.
    The original Mac prototypes, on the other hand, did originally have
6809's in them...

--
L. Curtis Boyle