[Coco] A return to bit.listserv.coco?

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Mon Mar 21 13:03:34 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> But why create gateways and openings when we could just congregate in
> one place?  If one thing fractures the CoCo community, it's "this
> group" and "that mailing list."

We are currently congregated in one place. Are there people who are on the
newsgroup and not on here? Why aren't they here?

> As I suspected, I'm swimming against the tide here.  What surprises me
> is that no one has seen the validity in the ideas I've expressed, which
> I think are quite sensible.

I fail to see it as such. It would be sensible if we could expect the
newsgroup to always be pristine. It may be quiet now, but increased
membership is likely to also increase the garbage. You haven't
demonstrated how it would be more convenient either, and it's not any more
convenient. We'd still need to get the word out in any case, because
relying on people bumping across the list or group on google is equally
ridiculous for whatever medium we use to discuss.

When looking at something like this, you can't choose to ignore all the
data. Looking at one aspect, convenience, leaves out all the interactions
with other aspects, like anonymity, that will affect the convenience when
the environment changes. I'm sure there's lots of room for research into
online community dynamics, and I'm certain you'd get a picture of a
complex system.

James