[Coco] Pros and Cons

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Mar 21 12:46:07 EST 2005

On Mar 21, 2005, at 11:41 AM, James Dessart wrote:
>> (2) Tied to Google, the largest search engine in use.
>
> Aren't the list archives?

Yes they are.  As Dennis pointed out, GMANE does indeed archive these
messages.  However, I think Google Groups is certainly a nice
interface, and that should be considered too.

>> (3) Anyone looking for CoCo related discussions on the Internet can
>> easily find it.
>
> Again, if the list archives can be indexed for search, then it's taken
> care of.
>
> If we want more people to more easily find the mailing list, we need to
> advertise it on all our pages. The more links to it on pages indexed by
> search engines, the better visibility.

Why go through this when Google Groups is (a) already established and
we've used it before and (b) we are just creating another level that
people have to go through to find us?

> (2) It's a newsgroup. Modern internet usage does not, for the most
> part,
> includee newsgroups. It's all web, IM and email. Most people have no
> clue
> what usenet is.

Much the same as mailing lists.  I would argue that both have about the
same degree of recognition among people.  However, Google has mass
acceptance and recognition.

>> Pros to maltedmedia:
>> (1) Closed list requiring membership (some might see this as a Con; I
>> do)
>>
>> Cons to maltedmedia:
>> (1) Closed list requiring membership (some might see this as a Pro,
>> but
>> I don't)
>
> If someone isn't willing to stand up and be counted, why should they be
> allowed to stand up and speak?

Again, I don't see this as the issue, as much as convenience.

>> (2) Not as easily accessible as bit.listserv.coco
>
> Quite the inverse, I'd say. To access newsgroups you need to first
> have a
> newsgroup client, then a newsgroup server, or to use google's groups
> interface.

Not a big deal.  More people can call up a web browser and set up an
account than a mail server.  Again, this is a wash.  I don't see one
being any harder than the other.

>> (3) Not the "traditional" list (may not mean as much to some)
>
> "Traditional" and "out-dated" can sometimes be synonyms. As far as I'm
> concerned, newsgroups have outlived their usefulness.

Google is redefining the "usefulness" of newsgroups.  In fact, I think
Google is the shot in the arm that Usenet needed.

Boisy