[Coco] A return to bit.listserv.coco?

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Mon Mar 21 12:33:22 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> Why did that group get spam flooded but this (as its successor) did
> not? I understood that it was due to a particular malicious
> individual, so it could have happened to this group too.

However, in order to support the newsgroup connection in the old list, the
list had to accept posts from non-subscribers. This list only accepts
posts from subscribers. Frankly, I see no benefit to using the newsgroup.
If someone isn't willing to sign up to the mailing, either because of
privacy issues or some other "value" based reason, then maybe the material
they have to contribute isn't of much value in and of itself.

Anonymity is not a right, and when we're talking about a small community
where one undesirable can create a lot of havoc, it isn't even useful or
desirable.

James