[Coco] MM/1 and friends (was: "Historic" CD-i development systems...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Mar 19 16:05:42 EST 2005

Al

I was not involved with the original design but maintainance of the
proddust after factory turn over. I had the task of implementing a
new EL driver circuitry and implementing the Dragonball EZ and VZ
chip into the product. Just before I left the last major problem was
fixed by replacing the 512K tsop package SRAM with BGA
package. There was a problem with drops that flexed the main PCB
and fractured solder connections on the SRAM. That caused
OS9/OSK to really do weird things.

I agree with you on the board could do some neat things. The
display  is QVGA and there is 512K of SRAM. The OS sits in one 4
megabit flash and there is room for applications and data to sit in
the main flash and a second 4 megabit flash to h old other stuff.

There was even a hurricane tracking program that was done for the
PageWriter 2K. That was neat. It drew a map of the Gulf and
Carribean and you could scroll up and down east and west. Several
games and even user alterable alerts. There was a program
development tools that allowed the writing of programs and
modules to drop. I never got them but maybe someone can find
them.

it would be neat to play with the board just to use as an embedded
system.

james