[Coco] Re: voxbox

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue Mar 15 11:21:45 EST 2005

On 03/15/2005 04:27 am, Rodney V Hamilton wrote:
> In article <42354A54.69F9AF6F at Dittel.info>,
> Torsten at Dittel.info wrote...
>
> >Hi,
> >does anyone remember an RS device for early (non-CoCo) models called
> >"TRS-80 VOXBOX"? Looks like it's a speech recognition device. How did
> >that work in those times?
> >
> >Torsten
>
> Actually, it was a speech GENERATOR, based on the VOTRAX SC-01.
> There was an article about programming it in Level II BASIC in
> the October 1979 issue of BYTE, pp.113-122.
>
> I rewrote the program for the coco and Colorware's REAL TALKER
> (which also used the SC-01) a couple of years ago, along with
> an improved text-to-phoneme translation table.

Sorry, but the VoxBox was an input device, not an output device.  The Voice
Synthesizer is the one you're typing about (and it was quite easy to program,
a simple PRINT @ a given lower right screen location of the codes for the
phonemes).  I never used the VoxBox voice input system, even though I recall
there was one in the storeroom when I started at RS in 1980.  I _think_ it
plugged onto the Model One expansion bus just as the Voice Synthesizer did
(made it hard to use them together), but after a couple of decades and a lot
of dead brain cells I could very easily be wrong.  I think Ira has the manual
at www.trs-80.com.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

For all the superficial parallels that can be drawn between Mssrs. Putin
and Bush, they made an oddly matched pair during their February 24
meeting in Bratislava, Slovakia. After all, it could be said, one of
them heads an increasingly authoritarian and lawless government that is
pursuing a radical vision of global revolution rooted in the teachings
of the Soviet Union's founders. The other is merely the president of the
Russian Federation.               -- William Norman Grigg, March 4, 2005