[Coco] Re: voxbox

Rodney V Hamilton Rodney_Hamilton at GBRonline.com
Tue Mar 15 04:27:34 EST 2005

In article <42354A54.69F9AF6F at Dittel.info>,
Torsten at Dittel.info wrote...

>Hi,
>does anyone remember an RS device for early (non-CoCo) models called
>"TRS-80 VOXBOX"? Looks like it's a speech recognition device. How did
>that work in those times?
>
>Torsten

Actually, it was a speech GENERATOR, based on the VOTRAX SC-01.
There was an article about programming it in Level II BASIC in
the October 1979 issue of BYTE, pp.113-122.

I rewrote the program for the coco and Colorware's REAL TALKER
(which also used the SC-01) a couple of years ago, along with
an improved text-to-phoneme translation table.

Rodney