[Coco] C compiler source

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Tue Mar 15 03:26:00 EST 2005

Hi,

One additional possibility is that OS-9 System Calls can be built to emulate
the ones supported by the true CoCo OS-9 but using PC library calls with
translation special code. Not everything can be done, but I started looking
into this many years ago and came to the conclusion that it would be very
useful for application programs. System programs would be more difficult and
perhaps not as useful.

The Borland Turbo C++ Compiler is now *FREE* and can be configured to K&R.

The Borland Turbo C++ Compiler to me meets the /required/ definition of a
IDE.

That is, "Integrated *DEBUGGING* Environment".

We do not have _anywhere_ a debugging environment at the source code level
of  "C".

Breakpoints at specific "C" lines can be set, when halted "C" program
variables can be inspected or watched and stack calls tracked back.

At all times (Except for the maintainers) you would be coding in CoCo OS-9
"C" with the goal that the program compiled without changes using the OS-9
"C" compiler would run on a real CoCo.

All the times that I have used the Borland Turbo C++ Compiler I never did
anything that was not in "C" and never saw signs that I was on a 8086. It is
very fast, as all Borland Compilers are but uses a text mode screen. Up to
whatever text mode your graphics adapter allows. If you have an favorite
external editor, you can use it. I was in 80 column or longer text modes
most of the time. I believe that all CoCo graphics modes can be supported.
Putting text on a graphics screen I did not investigate, but I suspect that
routines exist that can be used with translation.

Any Interest?

To me, if all that you wish to run is the CoCo OS-9 C Compiler, running it
under the OS-9 Level I emulator is a much better idea than any messing
around. IMHO

--
Stephen H. Fischer