[Coco] Re: Help simplify copyright law for scholars, artists. Public comment period ends soon!

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Mar 2 23:04:18 EST 2005

I like the idea, however most of the cases that I can see affecting COCO
and computer hobbyist is where the copyright holder decides to just
ignore requests, or worse just arbitrarily deny them.  While they also
seem to ignore non-commercial violations of the copyrights for obsolete
software, it does not weaken the copyright on it.

As near as I can tell, they are only looking at the case where the
copyright holder can not be located.

Some copyright holders do take their videos off the market for periods
of time to prevent market saturation, and they have strong lobbying
power as has been demonstrated.

It looks like for computer hobbyists it is a case of either finding the
original media, or reverse engineering a replacement such as was done
with the NITROS project.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only