[Coco] Disk to PC

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Fri Mar 25 09:17:40 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've had the good fortune of having all my Model I disks (and perhaps soon
my CoCo disks) transferred to DSK files.

I would like to transfer the documents to PC-compatible text files -- BASIC
program listings, assembler listings, articles, etc. How do I do this?

Admittedly this is (for now) a Model I question, but I suspect it will be
applicable to any obsolete format, and I have buckets of CoCo stuff on disk
and cassette (and more Model I stuff unconverted on cassette).

I have the emulators, and they seem to read and run the virtual disks
(though some poorly, as, for example, the autorepeat on Electric Pencil is
totally out of control so I can't type single characters even with the
shortest physical stroke). But I don't really want to emulate -- I want to
recover the older material.

The emulators I have may be too old. WinTRS80 from March 1997 doesn't even
read the virtual disks. David Keil's emulator from August 1999 doesn't read
the files, either. Only Jeff Vavasour's one does, from February 1997, but
it doesn't seem to have any conversion features.

How can I send the output to a plain vanilla PC ASCII file? And even
better, how can I do a *batch* conversion of BASIC programs, assembler
listings, and articles without loading each and every one (100+ disks, two
sides, with 5-20 files on each)?

(I do not have a Model I or CoCo set up anymore. Everything is in storage,
and shortly for sale.)

Thanks,
Dennis