[Coco] cc6809 project

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 15:35:34 EST 2005

I'm working on getting sdcc branch ready to check in to the cc6809
project on SourceForge. I haven't gotten my approval email from SF, but
it seems the project is now existant and probably ready to go.

I've created a clone of the sdcc sdcc/src/hc08 code generator called
sdcc/src/mc6809 with
 search and replace of

%s/hc08/mc6809/

and

%s/HC08/MC6809/

within the source files in sdcc/src/hc08, and I think I have everything
in sdcc/src directory right.

That was all easy peasy. Here's where it gets thorny:

Currently there is an HC08 assembler and linker which is in the
sdcc/as/hc08 directory. The build is set up to use that which is proper
for now since mc6809 is actually an hc08 code generator.

So it seems we'll need to make some decisions here... do we have an
open-source assembler/linker we can use, are we going to write a new
one, what platforms will we support (RS-DOS or NitrOS-9) for now...

Not knowing much at this stage, I'm thinking it might be best to go down
the path of branching the HC08 assembler/linker for the 6809. That seems
like the path of least resistance even given the fact that it means
creating yet another assembler linker combo.

Comments?

Also, if anyone wants to be a developer, let me know your SF ID (only
ask if you really intend to contribute... if you think you'll be
contributing at some much later date, it's OK to ask me then... this
avoids me having to deal with dropping people as time goes on).

Keep in mind also that all code changes you want to check in must be
released under the GPL.

-- John.