[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: 6809 chip not labeled 6809

j_e_daggett j_e_daggett at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 15:01:11 EST 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Mike Pepe <lamune at d...> wrote:
> I opened up an original CoCo 1 that had been through a repair. (inside
> the lid was written "6809 replaced"
>
> And indeed it was. It's a ceramic packaged Motorola chip, labeled
> SC84000L manufactured in late 1980.
>
> Anyone ever see one of these before?

******

Mike

The SC84000L is probably an internal Motorola SPS tracking number.
Motorola SPS did not usethe off teh shelf part numbers but an internal
SCxxxxx number. This helps in identifying which part and from what
fabrication facility that the part came from. From the internal
database the wafer size, process, and mask set used to make that
device can be determined. Also customer specific changes require a
different mask set from standard parts. The parts are then labeled
with a customer number or the internal Motorola SPS number. Also
internal divisions within Motorola, like paging or land mobile
products, will have the SC part number on them instead of the off the
shelf part number. This was done to hide what chips the product used.

Chances are the repair shop got parts from surplus or very early
released parts. The 6809E came out after the MC6809. The MC6809 was
released to production somewhere around 1978/1979 time frame. The
MC6809E came about a year later.

Since the date code is from about 1980, most likely was 3 micron NMOS
depletion load process on a 4 inch wafer. Probably done on the old
MOS3 line.

james

Yahoo! Groups Links