[Coco] SDCC and other C topics

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Mar 17 07:44:36 EST 2005

I received a reply from Erik Petrich who oversees the 68HC08 back-end
for the SDCC compiler.  He said that if we could get the M09 port to a
stable, code generating point, then he would be willing to incorporate
it back into the SDCC compiler.

I've separated the m09 port into its own subdirectory and have done the
work to 'hook' it to the SDCC compiler, but work needs to be done to
adapt the back-end, which is still an hc08 inside, into one that
understands and emits code for the 6809.

The SuperBoard is taking too much of my time to do any further work on
this.  Would someone step up to the plate and take over this project?
There are a lot of people on the list who want a cross-C compiler; this
is a perfect opportunity.  Contact me and I will email you the tarball
of my copy of the project's sandbox.  It connects to the sourceforge
server anonymously, so everything is there to access CVS.

On another topic, someone mentioned using Soren Roug's os9l1 emulator
to run the CoCo C compiler.  I think this is a great idea, and it
"almost" works.  However, some of the system calls are unimplemented,
and subsequent forks cause the memory that was allocated for the
process to not be released, so the C compiler quickly runs out of
memory.  It would be advantageous to fix this little problem and have
the C compiler working under this emulator as a stop-gap measure before
a fully implemented ANSI C cross compiler can be adapted.

The potential is there, but work needs to be done.  I'll champion
anyone who gets off the sidelines and takes up the challenges presented
to this community.  These tools can catapult us to a new level of
productivity and software creation.

SDCC -- ???
os9l1 -- ???
--