[Coco] "Historic" CD-i development systems...

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 17 06:16:22 EST 2005

Thierry Mella wrote:
> May I ask you why the Phillips CD-i wasn't a commercial success ?
> (In Europe, it was a big failure !)
> I my memory is good, it was a success from a technical point of view
> but not from a commercial one (as it happend with many Phillips products).

I definitely need to keep up with this list better!

The CD-i player was way underpowered. The 68070 was a Signetics (which I
think Philips bought) 68000 clone that had one less ALU, so that it was
_slower than the 68000_...and there were much better 680x0 processors
around then. Todd Rundgren, writing about the CD-i version
of _No World Order_, said that they pushed the system to the limit, and
I don't think they were able to do everything they wanted.

Gamers weren't impressed with CD-i; probably the best CD-i game disc was
Burn:Cycle. The other game titles that I recall were pretty lame.

	James Jones