[Coco] [Color Computer] 1M simms in Cloud9 SIMM upgrade kit

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Jun 29 15:09:39 EDT 2005

Mike

The GIME chip does a row only refresh (RAS). In that manner there
is no need to refresh both row and col. In this manner the each
individual row is addressed once every 15.6 uS. Then all 256 rows
of the memory array is then refreshed every 4 mS. 256K drams
require 256cylces every 4 mS refresh. So does the 64Kx4 drams
used in the 128K x 8 configuration. 256K x4 and 1M x1 chips
require 512 cycles every 8 mS.

The memory  array for the Coco 3 is arranged  as 256 rows by 1024
cols by 15 bits deep. That is the three deminsional memory array.
To make one megabit drams to work is an extra bit has to be added
to the refresh counter. Instead of cou nting to 256 it needs to be
512.

Now there maybe a way of using the RAS and CAS lines to
demultiplex the Z-address bus and use static ram instead of
dynamic ram. Then you do not  have to worry about refresh cylces
or not.

james