[Coco] Rainbow on Disc

James C. Hrubik, Sr. jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 8 16:29:12 EDT 2005

All I can say, is ... WOW!  That's the most positive stuff we've (as a
community) gotten from Lonnie, and it seems pretty fair to me.  I'll
have to catalogue my collection -- i think I have most of them.  There
are undoubtedly going to be the production costs, like disemboweling
the mag, then the scanning in full color, and the time involved.

I have been playing with this for one of our church publications, doing
the scans at 300dpi, and that produces a pretty nice .pdf copy, but
still a large .pdf ( try http://spot.acorn.net/aacc/NL200503.pdf;  that
was reduced in resolution to 150dpi prior to .pdf-ing, to save space on
the server).  I just scanned the cover of the December 1989 Rainbow at
300; the .tif was 22.5MB and the .pdf of the page (using Acrobat) at
that resolution was 564KB.  The December 1989 issue had 132 pages, 65
of which had _some_ color.  Since not all the pages of Rainbow have
color photos, the majority can be scanned B&W.  However, the tricky
ones will be those that have color "wallpaper" under the print, and
that will require full-color scans of those pages to meet Lonnie's
terms.  If anyone wants that December 1989 cover, let me know by
private email.

DVDs are really the only way to go, unless you do sets of CDs, say one
per year.  (Some of the bigger issues may require two CDs per year,
since 500K * 150 pgs * 12months = 900 megs -- that's a 24 CD set).  You
might even have to do sets of DVDs, since some of the issues are over
200 pages.  The later issues (newspaper format) will probably have too
be scanned on a flatbed, sideways, with the halves stitched together in
Photoshop or whatever you use.

I don't see much sense in OCR-ing the project, or even going above 300
dpi for quality.  It's doubtful anyone would want to print these things
out on a color printer, either now or later.