[Coco] Rainbow on Disc

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Wed Jun 8 13:24:52 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 09:12 -0600, Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:
> Here is the latest communication thread regarding what I would like to
> unofficially dub "Rainbow on Disc".  I think that Lonnie's terms are
> extremely fair.  At $.25 per issue the entire Rainbow archive of 144
> issues could be had for $36 plus shipping and media costs.  Are there any
> thoughts regarding the costs or what Lonnie has proposed?

I think someone is going to have to take responsibility for the
administration portion of this. Quarterly reports to Lonnie, collection
of money, the check, etc. It's an expense and would have to be covered
in some way by the final price for the CD. Glenside was suggested.
Perhaps Cloud-9 is another possibility? Accounting sucks but someone has
to do it.

As Lonnie suggests, we should just produce a complete collection CD, not
individual issues.

Other than that it seems the list of conditions is completely workable.

> I think we should start a discussion regarding the actual work and the
> practical details involved.  Boisy has some good questions regarding
> standards and consistency.

I'd take a fairly loose approach. I think everyone that wants to donate
copies goes into a big list with all the issues they own. Hopefully
there is a lot of overlap. We need a list of people with scanners w/
document feeders that are willing to do the work. Hopefully each of
these people have access to a printshop that can safely remove the
binding from the copies that they will scan.

Then each person donating a copy or copies can mail them directly to the
individuals doing the scanning. They cut, scan and upload to a central
website where they are reviewed and cleaned up. Then we can use a
command line tool to make magazines out of them, OCR or whatever.

BTW Michael, great job getting the ball rolling.

-- John.