[Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo USB

George Ramsower yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Sun Jul 31 15:29:54 EDT 2005

The following message is NOT a slam on the project. I endorse anything that
anyone builds for a Coco.

 However.....

In my original query, I asked:
"What's the point?"

 Everything that uses USB has to have software to support it. A single
driver is not enough.

 If I had this proposed USB interface and a driver to operate it,  wouldn't
I need software to operate anything that connects to it?
 Seems to me that I would have a piece of hardware that I couldn't use.

  I've noticed, over the years, that folks build tools to use on a coco, but
rarely do we have a useful application that a computer user can use.
 I don't write C or ASM. I can't use those tools.
 I have a purpose for my Coco and the "tools" to make the application I do
use is Basic09 because it's the only thing I DO understand(sort of). I only
write these applications because there isn't anything readily available that
will do that.
 If I could find a program for this &^%$DOS/XP box that would do what I
want, and the hardware to boot, I would use this ^%&*/DOS/XP box. But I
can't.
 So, I use one of my cocos to do the task. My needs are unusual and I'm sure
there isn't much demand for what I do with it. So there wouldn't be much
market for it and whoever writes such a program would starve to death trying
to market such a thing.

 My point is:

 USB is cool on this box I"m typing on.

 But on  a COCO?

 Will someone be writing software to utilize all the devices that can be
connected to a USB port?
 How long will we have to wait to scan an 8 1/2 X 11 page at 300 DPI into a
Coco and where would we save the data?
 How long will we have to wait to print that image to a printer....
providing we have the software to drive an Ink Jet printer?

Mr. Diffendaffer has taken on a hardware project that is not too complex.
KUDOS on that!!

The driver will be more difficult.

 The software to support the hard drives, flash memory, CD drives, Cameras,
Scanners, Printers, and anything else that we use is unattainable. We could
expect software to support the author's equpment, but that's about it. My
Lexmark Z45 is probably not going to be supported, nor will my Epson
Perfection 1250.
 I expect my digital camera won't have a way to get these picture into my
coco. I wouldn't want to anyway! The files are larger than my Coco.

 I would like to see a better RS232 port. The 6551 is not the best. I want a
better solution for communications.

 So, THERE!!!!

 That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

George

">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>