[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] GCC Update

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 10:34:55 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at v...>
wrote:
> On Thursday 28 July 2005 03:23, James Diffendaffer wrote:
> Are you familiar with the diff command from the *nix camp?

I've spent a lot of time developing for one *nix or another.
Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, DEC Unix... and that's just what I remember.

I also develope under Cygwin a lot and the environment I had on the
Amiga supported most *nix commands including diff.

>  If so,
> then you should work against an unpatched tree for gcc, doing your
<snip>
> start with the current version 4.0.1 srcs available from gnu.org,
> which is currently in a state of flux as they look for reasons why it
> won't compile the x.org X suite among other things.

As far as I've been able to tell (having looked at GCC for all of a
few days) the GCC compiler deals with the target CPU in a very
abstract manner and just makes calls to the target specific code
generator/peephole optimizer routines to output code.  I don't have to
touch anything but those routines.  It's highly unlikely I'll need to
make any modifications due to their changes but I'll need to be able
to diff versions to be sure.

I'm currently using the 4.0.1 srcs.

> As there will likely be a 4.0.2 shortly because of this, use the diff

I expect them to release a lot of fixes over the next few months but I
think my code will remain unchanged except possibly a config file or
two anyway.

I pretty sure the broken stuff is going to be in the internal GCC code
logic generation and optimization stuff that takes place well before
it converts it's internal code to target specific code.