[Color Computer] [coco] Learning assembly for OS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 18 16:27:05 EDT 2005

Start by making an outline that describes exactly what you are trying to
do. The outline will be a block diagram without too much detail at this
time in the process. Once you have your outline, you will need to
consult the OS-9 Technical Reference portion of your OS-9 manual. If you
don't have one, you will need something equivalent or you won't make any
further progress.

Decide which type of driver you are interested in, Random or Sequential.
The manual will help you with this by giving examples and samples of
programming. Study the appropriate section to determine if the driver
you want to write already exists. Also check RTSI for a pre-existing driver.

If indeed you will be creating a new driver, try to follow the model
drivers described in the manual. Study the Init section to determine
what information will be sent to your driver by the system. Decide what
type of user interaction you want via the Get/Setstat calls. Determine
what if any IRQs will be needed and how such a routine should be set up.
Finally be sure to study the chapter on System calls. You may find that
you won't need a driver but can use a pre-existing Get/Setstat call or
some other User or System Mode call.

Aside from the above, you pretty much have to learn by trial and error
(with a lot of the latter.) Write some code and if it does not do what
you want, post a portion of your code and the errors you are getting. It
is much much easier to answer specific questions than general ones.