[Coco] [Color Computer] SDCC

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Jul 18 12:40:43 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 14:17 +0000, James Diffendaffer wrote:
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis"
> <jhoger at p...> wrote:
> > Have you looked at cc6809 project on sourceforge?
> >
> > James Dessart, Boisy and myself already did some of that work.
> >
> > But it sounds like you're on a roll here... whatever works for you :-)
> >
> > -- John.
>
> Well, the problem with what's there is I don't know what's done and
> what isn't.

That's what email is for. But like I said, if you work better this way,
go for it.

>   And if I wanted to do something in a different way than
> what you started I'd have to do it over anyway

Yes, I suppose that's true.

> .  Here I just change
> everything and once I get going I can really crank out a lot of code.
>
> None of it is tough, just tedious.  I should have the register
> allocation working tonight and a few other things... not sure what
> yet.

What I had done was replicate the source files and build stuff to add a
copy of the hc08 module an rename it mc6809. What James had done was
some of the register allocator.

> I won't know if everything is right until I start testing but it
> looks like the changes are pretty obvious the more familiar I am with it.

Good on you. I found the sdcc register allocator and code generator a
bit of a mess. Add to that I've never worked on compilers, poor
vocabulary and abbeviation choices in the comments and I couldn't tell
what the authors were attempting to accomplish in several places. But
there was an interesting Q&Q on the internals at the mailing list. The
developer of the hc08 module will respond to questions if you have any,
he (at least was) talking to us on the cc6809 list.

-- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links