[Coco] [coco3] upscan video converter

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jul 16 15:53:43 EDT 2005

Roy

If you are intending throwing this out to review, then I have some questions.

1) The block diagram seems a bit unclear. It looks as if all the COCO 3 RGB signals
go to the ISC523 and that appears unlikely.

2) I am a bit confused on the outputs comparator and signal translation box. I
believe that you are doing some form a level translation of the COCO signals to that
needed by the Averlogic AL875 part. Is there some I2C control lof this circuit?

3) the ICS523 part supplies the video clock as well as the 2x clock required by the
AL875. Was this part chosen because of its versitility? Does it offer a space savings
in board lay out over a discrete crystal and divder logic?

I understand the need for the microcontroller to interface to the I2C bus. I remember
from the previos thread that trrying to control I2C via the COCO is a bit difficult. I
still wonder if there is some provision for In Circuit Programing of the Atmel part? It
does appear to be that this is just not a upscan converter but able to utilize the
Averlogic parts more of their capabilities.

Interesting though. I wonder how large the board will be. Yes you are pretty much
restricted to supplying a wall wart of some kind or at least the user will. Unless the
board is plugged into the expansion slot of the MPI,  I see no real clean way of
getting power from the COCO.

james