[Coco] [Color Computer] RE: DjVu misconceptions

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:54:05 EDT 2005

I'm debating something: Should I make a Nazi reference now to kill
this conversation, or start a poll about who's gonna make the
reference first? ;)

In all seriousness, I tend to agree that djvu is a bit obscure. I've
never heard of it before now, and I know a few things about computers.
If it's a better format, great. Doesn't change the fact that many of
us, who's jobs are in IT, have never heard of it before now. Also,
don't forget that ARJ was a better format than ZIP, in many people's
opinions, and it took off like mad for awhile there. But when is the
last time you've had to deal with an ARJ file. Is a viewer still
available? I don't know, and I've got a ton of stuff stored in that
format.

I probably won't purchase the end product in either format unless it
stays available for awhile. This is simply a matter of economics, and
has nothing to do which format it winds up in. I'd purchase it, if I
had the money, if it shipped on 1000 5.25" floppies in .BMP format
(the one used by IBM OS/2 at that!) but that is simply not going to be
the case for a bit. Just thought I'd point out how out of hand the
argument is getting. I'd rather have it available than not, and format
is secondary :)

Rod