[Coco] [Color Computer] RE: DjVu misconceptions

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 10:18:10 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at b...> wrote:
> James,
>
> How's that inexpensive USB adapter for the CoCo coming along these days?
>
> Boisy

I haven't even looked at it recently.  Been doing software stuff and
work is keeping me busy.  Now, I need to ask.  Are you actually
intersted or are you just asking to say where is that USB port you
promised to imply I'm a troll?

I should dig out the project files, drop everything but the USB and
just finish that.  At least at that point I won't start hear
accusations of being a "TROLL" anymore.

I've actually been spending my time on converting some old Basic games
to C so they are easy to port and run faster.  There's source and a
snapshot for one in the Yahoo VZ emulation group I threw together.
Just a simple text simulation but I wanted to start with something
simple to get the development environment working.

To get them to run on the CoCo I've been trying to get a decent C
cross compiler working for the 6809 that would also be free for use
with Portal09 but everything I've looked at so far needs work.  (I
actually use Dev C++ rather than Portal09 myself but I have to
develope stuff for work and Portal09 is CoCo assembly)

One compiler is a MicroC compiler that doesn't support much of the C
language but it does produce 6809 code.

SDCC says it's ANSI but it was missing some standard ANSI stuff
(standard types?) and crashed on simple code.  Plus people on the
project deleted one of the bug reports I posted even though I included
sample code to reproduce the problem in less than 20 lines of code.

The Flex one has a DOS port and could work if it's not too limited...
I was looking at it a couple days ago but I've been busy at woek since
and haven't felt like it.  The code is kinda ugly and the files are
named CC1.C, CC2.C, CC3.C, etc... which doesn't help.

I've been using Z88dk for the Z80.  It has some limitations but
nothing I can't work around.  More importantly it has support from
other old 8 bit computer fans and looks more promising for releasing a
program that runs on multiple machines.  The code generation *seems*
to be isolated to a couple files and at least it uses file names other
than CC1.C, CC2.C, CC3.C, etc...  What I was hoping to do was yank
some of the code generation from the Flex C, modify it and replace the
appropriate files in z88dk.

I glanced at the code for the GCC port but I have to put the thing
together and build it to see what it's like and GCC is HUGE.

All of the compilers I've looked at need a peephole optimizer to
generate decent code.  They do not do register tracking or anything
like that.  For a limited register set like the 6809 a peephole
optimizer will do ok.  It would also be easy to add some peephole
optimizations that take advantage of the extra 6309 registers for
temporarily storing values.  That would speed up the code a little.

Honestly, I really don't care what I work on first.  If people want me
to work on USB I can.

Yahoo! Groups Links