[Coco] [Color Computer] DjVu misconceptions

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Jul 14 09:23:24 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:11:38AM -0000, James Diffendaffer wrote:

> the fractal research commmunity it is far from obscure.  It obviously
> isn't on most people's computers like Acrobat reader.

And most people (at least outside of this esteemed group) seem to
never have heard of it --> obscure.

> DjVu was introduced around 1991.  The group I was working with at the

And WordStar was around a long time before that...would you advocate
distribution in WordStar format?

> Since the change in license terms the format's use has started to take
> off just like PDF did when it's license terms changed.

Of which, I see only anecdotal evidence provided by advocates here.

Here is my own (somewhat less) anecdotal evidence of obscurity:

	Google for "djvu" -- ~980,000 hits
	Google for "pdf" -- ~440,000,000 hits

Obviously, pdf enjoys a 448:1 popularity advantage over djvu.

QED :-)

John
--
John W. Linville