[Coco] Re: why you should stick with pdf

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Jul 13 08:23:08 EDT 2005

First, never put the Maltemedia list in the reply when you also have the
  the ColorComputer(at)yahoo in the reply.  All that does is post
duplicate copies to the Maltemedia list.

Second, It really does not make any difference to me what format is
chosen to put the archive in, as long as I can build a reader for it.

I have several magazine collections on CD-ROM now, and most of them have
their own proprietary viewer that only runs on a limited number of
platforms.  I think only one can be read on anything that supports HTML
and ISO-9660.

But lets make it clear about the PDF standard:

1. It is not an open standard, it is a closed proprietary standard that
is somewhat documented for public use.  No one other than Adobe knows
how complete the public documentation is or has ever been.

So it should not be called an Open Standard until Adobe releases it as
such, no matter how popular it is.

2. It is constantly changing and the open source viewers are typically
not available for the current version.

So a 2 year old version of PDF may be portable, but the latest version
is probably not.  And the authoring tools may not be able to restrict
themselves to down-level compatibility on their content output.

3. It is a very complex standard and includes the ability to have
operating system specific content in it.  It is quite possible that the
open source viewers for even the older versions can really display all
content.

And as it has a large number of internal formats that it can store
graphics in, it is quite possible that there are formats that the OCR
programs can not handle, unless they actually invoke a plug-in from Adobe.

I know of a third party who wrote a viewer based on the public
information and a license from Adobe.  While it worked, the cost time of
keeping it up to date with the current PDF standard was too high to
support the revenue from the few people who would pay to have a
supported PDF viewer on a platform that Adobe was no longer interested
in.  This was done because at the time XPDF was not good enough to
display all PDF content, and I do not know if XPDF has been updated to
fix the specific problem that triggered the project.

I looked at the specifications from Adobe, they are very complex.

4. Adobe has removed viewers for some platforms from it's site.  It's
"portable" java viewer (version 2) is not available, and neither is
version 1 of it.

Version 1 ran on all platforms, version 2 only ran on Apple Macintosh,
unless you copied an Apple copyrighted Java class to your system.  That
class is only available in a Macintosh compressed archive from Apple,
and I have found no "free" decompressors for other platforms that can
extract it.

If you still have version 1 of the JAVA viewer, it still works for the
version of PDF that was in use at the time it was released.  You just
can not get new copies.

So while a viewer may be available for your platform now from Adobe, it
may not run on a newer version of your platform, and the older one may
be withdrawn for download at any time.

5. Adobe could stop updating it's public specification at any time, but
continue to modify it's viewers and writers.

Bottom line, it is not open, and while unlikely, Adobe could abandon it
at any time in favor of a new closed document format that requires
royalty fees for a licenced viewers.

9 track Reel to real tapes ruled as a computer standard for a longer
time than PDF has been around.  Try getting one read now.
I have paper tapes from high school that I do not know if I will ever be
able to read them into a computer again.

No matter how popular something is in the computer world, when the next
new thing comes along, it can disappear real fast.

But there really is not many choices out there for encapsulating
graphics in a document in a portable fashion.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only