[Coco] Re: goodie!

Rogelio Perea os9dude at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:05:38 EDT 2005

PaulH wrote:

> Yep, but Radio Shack is just trying to find the 'big new thing' to keep in
> business. I refer to the decline of interest in hobby electronics these
> days.
> Many formerly busy stores are now closed or sharply reduced in outlets,
> cf Gem Electronics, Route Stores here in north Jersey, and most notably
> perhaps, Heathkit.

Perhaps the big new thing is precisely that niche market of the corner store
with a decently stocked electronics parts bin, perhaps Radio Shack needs to
reduce their number of stores and prop up better the remaining ones. Ideas
like these require the push from individuals that have faith on their
product line, and in a make-a-quick-buck business scenario that will hardly
come about. Today's bombardment of things to do with TV (cable & satellite),
game consoles and their portable versions and the like, it is hard to see an
electronics hobbyist market, someone willing to spend some time building up
something, soldering components to a board, the competition is tough so it
is 'better' to play it safe and sell cell-phones and other overpriced stuff,
well, news to the Shack: Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy and others were on
that market first!

> RS has also disco'd their famous yearly catalog and even flyers seem to
> have
> a rare appearance (in my area at least);  this may be in large part due to
> their
> reliance on high expense tv advertising featuring Hollywood actors doing
> the
> 'product pitch'.

Probably a catalog full of stuff that's always on the brink of dissapearing
from one month to the other does not make sense...

Keeping this thread in topic, I remember sort of in a fondly manner the
first time some clerk threw me the recently unpacked "You've gtot questions,
we've got answers" motto back in the early 90s, this was in Nogales's
(Arizona) lonely RS store: as soon as I walked in, the pushiest clerk
quickly did a 'Can I help you?'... that particular days the planets were
probably aligned so I immediately said: 'Oh YES you can!, you see, a month
ago or so I bought a software package that was on clearance, OS9 Level 1 for
the Color Computer... I need to get the rev 2 upgrade to use it in my CoCo
3, would you have it?' - I was promptly directed to the counter top RS
catalog copy to fend for myself. The move gained me a hassle/nag free window
shopping experience in that store for a long while :-)

-=[ Rogelio ]=-

-=[ Rogelio ]=-