[Coco] Re: why you should stick with pdf

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Jul 12 02:31:39 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 00:06 -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> The PDF specification is quite complex, and I occasionally encounter PDF
> documents that XPDF only displays as blank or XPDF just does a core dump
> when it runs.
>
> I do not know that the specification published by Adobe to the public is
> current and with out errors.

FUD?

If anything it's possible that some PDF generators have created
implementation dependencies on the actual adobe readers. Well, that can
happen with any data format including those with an open reference
implementation. Once a reference implementation is out, it is bound to
diverge.

All we can do is test the final PDFs generated. Keep in mind that we're
just using PDF as a container for scanned images. We are hardly using or
needing any advanced features of PDF. If there is advanced image
compression features, that's awesome. Just need to make sure there's an
open implementation that supports it.

-- John.