[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] why you should stick with pdf

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 23:07:10 EDT 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 15:22, proteanthread at yahoo.com wrote:
>I would have to agree with John on this; Even though jpg is a "new"
>standard compared to gif, gif as a standard is still around and
> still widely used, it just means that you have to pay royalty fees
> to whomever owns the gif format now;

Wrong.  Except in a small area of europe where the patent registration
may have a few weeks to run yet, gif is 100% public domain, you
aren't paying Sperry/Univac a cent these days.

> pdf is beyond that, i don't
> see adobe asking for royalty fees everytime someone publishes a
> document in pdf format.  Given the amount of documents already in
> pdf format, it will be around for a very very long time.  At this
> point I doubt djvu will catch on (it may or may not) as pdf has.

If I may add a comment re the relative compression ratios between
these two antagonists, pdf's compression can be pushed far harder
than it commonly is.  Its own level 1.2 reference manual, which I
once printed here at 408 pages, is IIRC, a bit less than 8 megabytes.

If pushed to the wall, I'd expect pdf to pretty well match the
commercial djvu in terms of output size.  At that point, one should
compare the cpu cycles used to do the compression.
And of course theres the fact that pdf has been around what, 20 years
now that I'm aware of, so its mature, but young enough to be around
for another 50 or so before its really considered to be excessively
long in the tooth.