[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: The Best Monitor for a CoCo 3 is a TV. (Really!)

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 15:37:06 EDT 2005

Just check the specs on the Analog Devices chip.  The CoCo may not
output the proper frequency for that chip.

> While I was working on a absurd project to display ATSC HDTV from my
HTPC
> on my NTSC RCA TV I realized that the same solution could be used
with the
> CoCo 3.
>
> Some newer TV's have a S-Video input which bypasses the TV circuits used
> with Video input which degrade the picture immensely.
>
> The "MyHD" HDTV PCI card in my HTPC can produce a 480i(720x480
interlaced,
> 15.75kHz) RGB (VGA) output.
>
> This is not a S-Video signal but can be converted by a chip produced by
> Analog Devices.
>
> The CoCo 3 produces a similar RGB output.
>
> The CoCo 3 S-Video display on my TV is as good as the display on the
Sony

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Evaluation_Boards/Tools/452661188AD724eb.pdf

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Evaluation_Boards/Tools/120333814AD725eb.pdf

> The Evaluation Boards are assembled with cables. All that you need
to add is
> a CoCo 3 RGB cable with a DB15 VGA connector and a connection to a
3-5 volt
> power supply. Three ~100 ohm resisters need be inserted in the R, G
and B
> lines.

> For the CoCo 3 I recommend that a AD724 be used. This chip has 16 leads
> instead of the 28 on the AD723.
>
> Fewer pins mean fewer problems
>
> There is a site with a single sided PCB that is a good starting point.
> Changes need to be made, NTSC instead of PAL and S-Video output.
>
> Coelho's Site - VGATV Hardware Page [AD724 by Ludovico Caledon]
> http://pwp.netcabo.pt/pscoelho/vgatv/ludovico/LC-AD724.html
>
> Drawn using Eagle 4 for Linux.

> All the AD72x chips need the same external parts.
>
> I expect that an evaluation board is really not needed in the
development of
> a board for the CoCo 3. There are just not too many things that can
go wrong
> and no adjustments are needed.

> My CoCo 3 plans: To answer questions and offer advise.
>
> As I have the Sony KV-1311CR for use with the CoCo 3 and an additional
> computer monitor that could be used, I have no real need for
> continuing with this project.
>
> Now for the non-believers.
>
> I have taken some digital photos of several CoCo 3 generated screens.
>
> Taking digital photos off a TV screen has problems that are not
visible to
> an human eye looking at the screen.
>
> The raster lines appear to be too prominent. In normal viewing you
will want
> to be farther from the TV due to its larger size.
>
> There is interference that shows up on some of the photos. Again I
say that
> a human looking at the screen will not observe this.
>
> I suggest that you download the Index first
>
> "IndexSV.jpg" 204,464 Bytes
>
> and then
>
> "P0001814.jpg" 447,272 Bytes.
>
> This is the CoCo 3 64 colors all on one screen display.
>
> These photos are ones that you download and look at for 30 seconds
once and
> never look at them again.
>
> So please be kind to Dennis and not abuse his bandwidth.
>
> ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/CC3/Monitors/Svideo/

> Can I expect the same great display on my S-Video TV?
>
> Yes, TV's with S-Video inputs tend to be larger, better designed and
better
> built.
>
> How much does a S-Video TV cost?
>
> Will you believe Cheap or FREE!
>
> We in the USA are in the process of turning off the analog NTSC TV
broadcast
> transmitters and having only digital ATSC OTA transmitters.
>
> This will make a huge number of old TVs need to be replaced with
HDTV sets.
> In Silicon Valley all the Analog stations now are also transmitting
digital
> signals with very few exceptions. Even the Praying, Shopping and Spanish
> stations.
>
> So when a friend says that they are going to get a new HDTV, talk to
them
> about their old set. Do not wait. Those persons that have purchased TV's
> with S-Video inputs are the ones that will or already have purchased
a new
> HDTV.

> The "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts " is a lively list of
CoCo'ers