[Coco] why you should stick with pdf

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Mon Jul 11 13:29:36 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:50:13PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:44:33AM -0700, rtdos at yahoogroups.com wrote:
> > 1.  its still the standard, on Mac, Windows, and even
> > Linux; heck there are PDF readers for Amiga and Atari
> > ST as well.
> >
> > 2.  djvu is still fairly new (when compared to pdf);
> > for example, people still use pdf even though
> > Microsoft has its own ebook format?  Why?  Because pdf
> > is still THE standard.
> >
> > 3.  djvu might not work on older machines where pdf
> > will (even my dos based laptop)
> >
> > here is a FREEWARE pdf compression tool:
> >
> > http://www.bureausoft.com/products.html
>
> Well, I must have missed something...is this really an issue?
> I've never even heard of djvu...
>
> If you go w/ something other than PDF, you can likely reduce your
> sales estimate by (at least) one...

Make that at least two. For me the price difference of 1 vs ~5 dvds
is far less of a concern then the ability view the disks from linux.

If a format is selected that doesn't have a viewer available for linux
then I won't be interested. I'm also not interested in having to go
out and buy special software to view the disks.