[coco] wondering about 68k machines

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Jul 11 05:21:16 EDT 2005

>From: jdaggett at gate.net
>Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:29:39 -0400

>A bit ackward to try and compare the 6809 and 68K execution times
>with regard to peripheral access. The 6809 and 68K use different state
>machines. The 68K state machine does more than the 6809. Mostly
>new activity is in buss arbitration.

Certainly.  I didn't mean to imply that the 68K was just sitting there
waiting that time, and I'm quite aware of the fact that peripherals
didn't get much faster.

Unfortunately I'm not real familiar with the hardware interface of the
68K.  I've done 68K assembly, but I've never built a 68K machine from
the chips up.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA